miércoles, 19 de diciembre de 2018

Text: Child labour at Industrial Revolution



“I'm a trapper in the Gawber pit. It does not tire me, but I have to work without a light and I'm scared. I go at four and sometimes half past three in the morning, and come out at five and half past (in the evening). I never go to sleep. Sometimes I sing when I've got light, but not in the dark; I dare not sing then. I don't like being in the pit. I am very sleepy when I go sometimes in the morning. I go to Sunday-schools and learn to read.[…] They teach me to pray. I have heard tell of Jesus many a time. I don't know why he came on Earth, I'm sure, and I don't know why he died, but he had stones for his head to rest on. I would like to be at school far better than in the pit.”

Sarah Gooder, 8 years old. Testimony gathered by the Ashley Mine´s Commission

Read the text and answer the following questions:

1.-. What did Sarah complain about?

2.-. Is the basic education compulsory for children? Justify your answer with the text.

3.-. Was the Sunday-school a state school? Justify your answer.

4.-. What were the working conditions of children during 19th century?




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario